Lahiru Thirimanne retires from international cricket

 by  Cricbuzz Staff  •  Last updated on Sun, Jul 23, 2023, 02:52 PM

Lahiru Thirimanne played 197 international games
Lahiru Thirimanne played 197 international games © Getty

Sri Lanka batter Lahiru Thirimanne has announced his retirement from international cricket. The top-order batter announced his decision on his Facebook page, leaving the sport with 44 Tests, 127 ODIs and 26 T20Is to his name in a career spanning 13 years.

"As a player I have given my best, I have tried my best, I have respected the game and I have done my duty honestly and ethically to my motherland," Thirimanne wrote on his Facebook page.

"It was a difficult decision to make, but I cannot mention here the many unexpected reasons that influenced me to take this decision willingly or unwillingly. I take this opportunity to thank the SLC members, my coaches, teammates, physios, trainers and analysts for their support and encouragement."

Thirimanne made his international debut in the 50-over format, in a triangular series fixture against India in Mirpur. He scored his first century against Australia in Adelaide in 2013 and went on to have an even better year in 2014.

Thirimanne topped the batting charts in Sri Lanka's title-winning Asia Cup campaign with two hundreds and was also part of the T20I squad that won the T20 World Cup. He had his best run of form in the 50-over format in 2015, when he scored 861 runs - including a World Cup hundred. In Tests, Thirimanne scored three tons, the last of which came in a victory against Bangladesh in Pallekele in 2021. His final appearance in the longest format came in Bengaluru against India last year.

Thirimanne signs off with 2088 runs in Tests, 3194 runs in ODIs and 291 in T20Is.

Comments